- ¾ cup uncooked sushi rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp rice
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp black sesame seeds(kala til)
- 10 thin avocado strips
- 10 thin cream cheese
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
For the dressing
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a small non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sesame seeds and mxi well. Keep aside.
For the sticky rice
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes,. Drain well and keep aside.
- Boil 2¼ cups of water and little salt in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the rice is cooked and the water is evaporated completely, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the rice into a plate and cool completely, add the prepared dressing and mix gently.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions. Keep aside.
For the stuffing
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice and little salt in a bowl, toss gently and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Take a seaweed sushi sheet and lightly roast it on an open flame using a tong on all the sides.
- Repeat step 1 to roast 1 more sheet. Keep aside.
- Cover the bamboo mat with cling wrap all over.
- Place the bamboo mat on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the prepared sticky rice over it and spread it evenly with wet hands leaving ½” gap from all the 4 sides and press it gently.
- Sprinkle a little water on a roasted seaweed sushi sheet to make it soft.
- Now place it over the spread sushi rice and press it gently.
- Place 5 avocado strips and 5 cream cheese strips overlapping each other on one side of the bamboo mat and sprinkle a little toga rashi evenly over it.
- Roll it very tightly with the help of a bamboo mat, pressing each time while rolling.
- Gently remove the bamboo mat to get a sushi roll. Place it on a chopping board and cut the edges to make it look clean.
- Place the sushi roll on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal portions using a sharp wet knife.
- Repeat steps 4 to 11 to make 8 more pieces.
- Serve immediately with wasabi sauce, soy sauce and pickled ginger.