The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department on Wednesday said its Special Victims Bureau began an investigation into allegations of a sexual assault involving Spacey back in December 2017.
The case involves “events” that reportedly took place in October 1992 in West Hollywood, California, and involved a male adult, according to a statement from the LASD.
The case was presented to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s entertainment industry sex crimes task force on April 5, for review and filing consideration.
A spokesperson for the Los Angeles District Attorney told CNN on Wednesday the office had been given the case earlier this month.
An attorney for Spacey did not immediately return CNN’s request for comment.
The news comes nearly six months after Spacey was accused of making a sexual advance on actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was only 14.
In response to the allegations, Spacey tweeted that he was “beyond horrified to hear [Rapp’s] story,” adding that he did not remember the encounter.
“But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
An attorney for Spacey did not respond to CNN’s request for comment at the time.
The Old Vic said the allegations spanned from 1995 to 2013, with most of the claims taking place before 2009. The theater added that it had not been possible to verify any of the allegations.
At the time, Spacey’s representatives did not respond to a request for comment from CNN.
Spacey sought unspecified treatment following the allegations made by Rapp, but has not made a public appearance since.
CNN’s Megan Thomas and Chloe Melas contributed to this report.
News credit : Cnn