As Kashmir Valley remains on the edge following the killing of militant commander Burhan Wani, separatists on Monday extended the shutdown call till July 13 warning the centre and the state government against the ‘killing of innocent and unarmed people during protests’.
The separatists termed the state government’s appeal for help to restore normalcy as “childish and illogical”.
Hardline Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani in a statement issued on behalf of the separatist groups said the strike has been extended by two more days.
“July 13 would be observed as the Reaffirmation Day and all three separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, would march from Hyderpora, Jamia Masjid and Maisuma towards Mazar-e-Shuhda (martyrs graveyard) in Naqshband Sahab, respectively,” the statement said.
The separatists had earlier called a three-day strike following the killing of the militant commander.
The separatists asked the people to “raise and repeat the slogan of right to self-determination”. They asked the government to put a stop on the killing spree of “innocent and unarmed people of Kashmir during peaceful protests.”
“The situation, otherwise, would take a serious turn. New Delhi, along with the state government, would be held responsible for it,” they warned.
Violent protests erupted in Kashmir in the wake of the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen poster boy Wani on Friday in a joint operation by army and Jammu and Kashmir police. Atleast 23 civilians have been killed so far and more than 250 injured in the firing by security forces.