Home / Tag Archives: Health

Tag Archives: Health

Norovirus: How to protect yourself at the Olympics or at home

The virus has found a home at the Olympics and is spreading rapidly. The PyeongChang Organizing Committee had confirmed 128 cases by Thursday. Competitors and attendees alike are being warned to be extra careful about proper hand hygiene in hopes of stemming the tide of infections. According to the committee, …

Read More »

Flu still on the rise, hospitalizations high, CDC says

“We may be on track to break some recent records,” Dr. Anne Schuchat added while releasing the latest data. Flu-related hospitalizations rose to about 60 people out of every 100,000 in the fifth week of 2018, the CDC said Friday in its weekly surveillance report. That’s higher than last week, …

Read More »

Weight loss interventions that work: Surgery

If you are severely overweight and have not been able to lose an adequate amount of weight with lifestyle changes or weight loss medications, or if you have serious health issues related to obesity, bariatric (or weight loss) surgery is a potential option. “You consider surgery when other therapies for …

Read More »

Meet Team USA’s youngest and oldest Winter Olympians

There’s no age limit for taking part in the Olympic Games although each International Sports Federation sets its own rules. The average age of athletes representing Team USA at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea is 26.5, a standard age range for athletes competing at this level. But a …

Read More »

3 mental tricks to win gold at the Winter Olympics

Many scientists who study athletic achievement adhere to the belief that sports are just 10% physical. The other 90% is mental. “The physical aspect of the sport can only take you so far,” gymnast and seven-time Olympic medalist Shannon Miller told The Dana Foundation in 2012. “In the Olympic games, …

Read More »